Gibsons is a vibrant place that is building a robust economy for an environmentally sustainable community. Here one can experience the best of all worlds - a mild westcoast climate, breathtaking mountain-to-ocean scenery, outstanding recreation activities, entrepreneurial opportunities and an affordable lifestyle.
- Tourism: arts, ecological, educational and adventure tourism, retreats and meetings, bed & breakfasts. Gibsons is just 40 minutes ... and a world away from Vancouver.
- Service and retail: the growth in the retail and service sector helps make life comfortable and convenient for the Coast's growing population.
- Specialty manufacturing: value-added wood products, boat building, scientific glass blowing
- Distance professionals: just miles from Canada's Gateway to the Pacific, technology allows businesses to provide their customers here and abroad with products from around the world.
- Resources: Howe Sound Pulp & Paper, log booming, commercial fishing, aggregate extraction
Gibsons Community Initiatives Association is the economic development office for the Gibsons area, including the Town of Gibsons, along with Elphinstone and West Howe Sound, two of the rural areas of the Sunshine Coast Regional District. We work to create the climate, the attitude and the infrastructure that will welcome business success and make the economy prosper.
We have a three pronged strategy:
- facilitate effective communication between business and local government
- develop a "voice for business" with business associations to address issues important to the community
- encourage media to tell the story of the contribution business makes to life on the Coast
- provide timely, insightful business information and data
- Gibsons Landing waterfront development
- Upper Gibsons business development
- Hillside Industrial Park completion
- Transportation: West Howe Sound Port, Sechelt Airport, 101 Bypass
- Education and training: match needs with institutions with facilities
- Community Futures Development Corporation: 2010 committee, Dakota Ridge, business mentoring
- Sunshine Coast Tourism Partnership: Coast wide DMO, tourism events - Beachcombers 35th anniversary celebration
- Gibsons & District Chamber of Commerce, Gibsons Landing Business Association: Superhost customer service training
Our over-arching goal is to help make Gibsons and the Sunshine Coast the most welcoming place in Canada to visitors, to newcomers and to business.